Tuesday, October 5, 2010

If You Can Raed Tihs You Msut Be Raelly Smrat!

"I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to the rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig, huh?"

If you can read this, you are one of the 55 out of 100 people who can. According to studies at Cambridge University, when you read a word, it doesn't matter what the order of letters in a word are in as long as the first and last letter are in the same place. The explanation for this phenomenon is that the human brain doesn't read a word letter-by-letter, but as a whole.

The human brain is separated into two sides: left and right. The two different sides of the brain are responsible for different manners of thinking:

    Left Side                        Right Side
   - Logical Sequence     - Random

   - Rational                     - Intuitive

   - Analytical                   - Holistic Synthesizing

   - Objective                    - Subjective

   - Looks at parts            - Looks at wholes

I found this topic to be very interesting. I have always wondered why I can "raed wrods lkie tihs." When my family visited the Franklin Institute last year, there was a large paper that had words with the letters all scrambled except for the first and last letters. I read the whole thing and couldn't help but wonder, "How can I read this?" That day I couldn't find an explanation, but now I know that it has to do with the left and right side of the brain.

-AK

Sources:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,511177,00.html   (picture)

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/cna-yuo-raed-tihs/
http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/Cmabrigde/
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13114
http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/exercise.html
http://www.lifescript.com/Soul/Self/Growth/
http://www.funderstanding.com/content/right-brain-vs-left-brain


--
>>KrAmEr<<