Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Epigenetics

Most people never heard of epigenetics before, that's because it is a newly found study. Epigenetics is the study of gene expression or inherited changes in phenotype (appearance). It refers to alterations in gene expression that epigenomes control in the DNA methylation and/or chromatin structure. Epigenomes literally mean on top of or addition to the genome. These epigenomes are the controller to our genes, determining what type of cells our cells will be or how we look.
In a study between mice, a yellow-haired obese mother mouse was given certain foods that turned off the epigenome of obesity. Therefore, the offspring's epigenome of obesity was turned off. These mice, in relation to their mother, were lean and brown-haired. If scientists wanted to turn the epigenome that controls obesity back on, they would use prions which helps an epigenome to turn on by using proteins.
This study shows that it is possible to change an epigenome in the DNA structure. When changing epigenomes, results are promising. Epigenetics is the key for treating diseases and changing the way we live.
At first, I was interested in how things mutate in genetics. As I researched that topic I got into epigenetics which really caught my eye. Learning about epigenetics is almost like a base to understand how to treat diseases. I feel like this topic is only the beginning to more things I'd like to know.

~P O