Monday, October 4, 2010

Bone Spurs

A bone spur (osteophyte) is a bony growth that forms on normal bone. It is usually smooth but can cause wear and tear of pain if it presses or rubs on other bones or soft tissues, such as ligaments, tendons, or nerves. A bone spur forms when the body tries to repair itself by building extra bone, usually in response to pressure, rubbing, or stress continually for long a long period of time. They can form because of aging and doing activities that put pressure constantly on tendons and ligaments. Many people have bone spurs without knowing because most bone spurs cause no symptoms. If they rub on other bones or tissues or cause muscles or tendons to rub, they can break down tissue and cause swelling, pain, and tearing. Bone spurs are generally diagnosed by X-rays. Bone spurs usually do not require treatment unless they are causing pain or damaging other tissues. Treatment can include stretching, resting, icing, anti-inflammatory drugs, corticosteroid injections, or surgery.
            This is related to what we're studying because we have studied life science, which includes the study of human beings. Anatomy often involves human beings, so it is connected. I found this article interesting because I want to prevent getting bone spurs. My dad has found bone spurs in his knee, caused by activities that put pressure on his ligaments, such as running and soccer. Like the article says his bone spurs, went undetected until it got detected by X-rays. He also received treatments like stretching, resting, icing, Advil, and corticosteroid injections. However, this interests me the most because I don't want this to happen to me. I see the pain these bone spurs have caused him, and I don't want it to happen to me. That is why I want to learn more about this.
h9991217.jpg
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/bone-spur-topic-overview
JZ