To start off, what are black holes? Where do they come from? Also, why do they sound so dangerous? Don't worry, your questions will be answered. Black holes are the evolutionary endpoints of a star that can be 10 to 15 times the size of the sun. If a star that very large goes through a supernova explosion, it may leave behind a pretty large burnt out stellar parts. With no outward forces to contradict gravitational forces, the parts will collapse by itself. The star eventually will collapse to the point where it has no mass nor volume, but has infinite density, forming what is known as a singularity. Around the singularity, is an area where the force of gravity is so great that not even light can escape it. It is then called a black hole, and the surface is called the event horizon. I think that black holes are known for being vicious, wild, and insane while they really don't have that bad of a job. Black holes are no threat to Earth, for they are extremely far away. I have no fear of black holes, nor will I ever. I think that it is appropriate for black holes to have the name they do, for they are very large "holes" and they are black. I just really want people to understand that black holes are over exaggerated for their dangers even though they are no threat to us. Just remember, black holes are not going to come to the face of the earth, scoop you up, and take you away forever. |